Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Rocky Votolato

"The Wrong Side Of Reno"






Votolato has become a master at the rootsy blues-folk from the days of old. The Brag & Cuss, his follow up to last years excellent Makers, makes no attempt to fix what ain’t broke. It offers up the same brand of down-trodden, country tinged, self-deprecating sweetness you’d expect from a farm raised Texan (Now that I think about it, most of the people I know from Texas are the opposite of self-deprecating, but whatever). “I hear a train whistle blowin’/And it’s in key with my song,” he starts on “Wrong Side Of Reno.” It starts like a typical acoustic guitar/harmonica set, but brings in the tom-tom and rim shot percussion on the chorus. I’ve always been able to appreciate Votolato’s lamenting for more than woe-is-me-ism. He manages to sound confessional and masculine at the same time. There’s something honorable about a man singing about his troubles unabashedly.



Download >>The Wrong Side Of Reno

No comments: