Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Twilight Sad

"That Summer, At Home I Had Become The Invisible Boy"






I really slept on this one. I’ve been holding on to it for months. I’m embarrassed to admit it, but when I first heard “Cold Days From The Birdhouse,” I immediately wrote them off based solely on James Graham’s super thick Scottish accent. “How could anyone take them seriously?” I thought. Am I captain of all the idiotic indie-elite? Indeed I am. But alas, we are all capable of growth. And even before their Best New Music status, I had come to realize that the bands debut full length Fourteen Autumns And Fifteen Winters was a commanding, titanic force to be reckoned with. “That Summer….” became my personal favorite, and, in my opinion, is the one that encompasses everything great about the album. From the heavy thudding tom drums to the lingering guitar noise that seems to struggle to stay afloat. From the heavy crashing of guitars on the chorus set against Grahams’ beautifully dramatic refrains (“The kids are on fire in the bedroom”), to the aftermath (identical to the opening) left in the wake of the storm. If there’s one thing to be learned from all this, it’s this: never judge a man by his kilt.



Download >>That Summer, At Home I Had Become The Invisible Boy

No comments: