Monday, June 11, 2007

Stars Of The Lid

"Even If You're Never Awake (Deuxieme)"






I was having a bad day. I was angry to say the least. I wanted shout and throw things. I wanted flip the entire room on its head, creating as much chaos as possible. It would have been easy to embrace this anger, put on some Rage Against The Machine and start kicking shit around in a furious tantrum. But I didn’t. Instead, I went for the opposite. I put on And Their Refinement Of The Decline and laid down instead. I opened up and let the soothing washes of sound flood through me. By the time I had got to “Even If You're Never Awake (Deuxieme)” on the first disc I felt like a different person. While a majority of the songs prior seemed to bleed into one large beautiful orchestration, this tracks seemed to stick out. Mixing lush strings, radio noise, and other instruments that sound as if they were played live and re-sampled, the song is a three-phase exercise in patience and appreciation. With patience, as it is with most ambient drone music, one can appreciate the innate beauty of the genre. But Stars Of The Lid seem to have a better, if not more human grasp. From the obvious details (the sounds of empty, lonely piano chords. Distant angelic voices.) to the subtle shifts in the general mood of the music, And Their Refinement has a lot to offer for the attentive listener. It’s also the cheapest prescription for anger management.



Download >>Even If You're Never Awake (Deuxieme)

No comments: