Friday, April 6, 2007

Rufus Wainwright

"Going To A Town"






Rufus Wainwright has given up. You can hear it in his voice. While he always sung in that lazy drawn out style, you can’t help but notice how tired he sounds this time around. What once sounded slightly defiant has become fully defeated. “I’m going to a town that has already been burned down/I’m going to a place that has already been disgraced/…I’m so tired of America.” Wow. No more clever puns, no sarcastic commentary, no humor. Whatever hit Rufus, it hit hard. While I can’t say that everything the man has done has been completely uplifting, I’m still certain that the level of depression has increased some-fold. While Rufus sings in his typical elongated fashion, the music sweeps and swells acting as Wainwright’s emotional conscious, as if the weight was too much to carry in his own voice. I don’t normally encourage drinking, but you might need one after this.



Download >>Going To A Town

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, then fuck that.

Sweet reviews, m'brothas

Mark said...

I can see what you mean, but I completely disagree. I think Rufus is tired of the homophobic administration and country. Most of us, the LGBT community, feel hopeless... this country will always be homophobic and never except us. I'm not saying we should be like "boo hoo," but I agree with him. I'm so tired of America.

The song is beautiful, in my opinion... and the rest of the album is his best.

Devon said...

I'm curious as to what you disagree with. I never mentioned why I thought he had given up or why he sounded so tired. I never even said I disagreed with him. I agree with both of you. My only commentary was on his delivery, not the message itself.

On a side note; I personally feel that Poses is still his best record. But that's just my opinion.

Either way, sincere thanks! Your comments are greatly appreciated.